Monday, November 9, 2009

Coping with Bed rest and long term hospitalization

This blog is being set up because one of my nurses here in the hospital asked if I had anything written about how to cope with bed rest. She said I should write something down because I do it well.

Although I do not believe that I am the best bed rester or long term hospital patient I have gained many useful skills over the last two years... being in the hospital 39 days with one baby and so far 42 days with the next.

I decided to create a blog instead of a pamphlet on this because I figured it would be a great way to share some ideas of what you can do on bed rest... either at home or in the hospital. I have a ton of ideas to share.

Some of the ideas are dependent on what type of bed rest you are on though and how much they allow you to move around. So please exercise caution and do not do anything to put yourself (or child if pregnant) at risk. These are only ideas of things I did and not medical advice. Please consult your doctors before doing any activity as you may have a different type of bed rest then I have had.

I guess to begin with I should give you a little bit of my bed rest back ground so you know where I am coming from.

My first experience with bed rest/ long term hospitalization was during my pregnancy in 2008. I was hospitalized with my son at 29 weeks of pregnancy due to a lack of amniotic fluid caused by a rare condition that my son had called Posterior Urethral valves. That hospital stay was a total of 39 days. On the 38th day I had my son... who lived an hour and on the 39th day I went home.

My second experience with Bed rest was at home. I was put on bed rest with my next pregnancy at 6 weeks, starting in April 2009, due to a sub-chorionic hemorrhage and was told that the only thing I could do not to miscarry was to rest at home. So I did from week 6 to week 13 when all bleeding stopped.

My third experience with bed rest was another hospitalization at 29 weeks again, but this time it was because my blood pressures were out of control which cause it to look like severe pre-eclampsia. As I write this I am currently on day 42 of that hospitalization. This bed rest has been different then the other two. I had very guarded activities at the beginning and even had a time of quarantine due to the H1N1 swine flu.

Since I have had three totally different experiences I can share with you ideas with each of the three types in mind. I hope that this will be a useful tool for many people on bed rest to use and work their way through their difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment